Sunday, December 5, 2010

Gratitude Day Twelve

<This is a bit of a cheat because I just posted last night's gratitude, but as I mentioned, I had a friend over til way late, so I'm just now posting for both today and yesterday!>

I woke up this morning in a lot of pain. Part of it, surely, was the fact that I had overdone it yesterday, and gone to bed quite late...close to 1am.  It's 8:33 right now as I write this, and I'm in bed. That's more normal for me! lol  Another thing that is not normal for me is to feel much gratitude at all for modern medicine, but without it, I would not be able to hobble into the bathroom in search of ibuprofen first thing in the morning to help me feel better, or at 3pm to find the bottle of Excedrin migraine, and experience relief.

The problem I have is that I believe that most of my daily dose of pain is brought on by modern food production and preservation methods, so I find it rather difficult to be grateful for the medicines that are so affordable and close at hand because I feel I caused the pain myself, or we, as a society, did.

Still and all, I need to be grateful for these things, and more cautious with my body, what I put into it, to what I expose it, and then perhaps I will need fewer modern meds.  Wouldn't it be NICE to be able to go search out a willow tree and harvest a little old-fashioned aspirin when one had a headache? But wouldn't it also be a bother to have to go down to the creek with the harvesting tool and basket in order to get a little remedy?  I mean, it's super nice to walk into my bathroom (which I'm grateful is indoors!) and just pick up a bottle and swallow a pill; whether or not I caused the pain in the first place, whether the cure is worse than the cause, those are debates best saved for another day.

In Gratitude,
Rebecca at Ruby Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment